Toasted Orzo Chicken SoupFrom pleclare 7 years ago
- One 32 oz. container chicken stock shopping list
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts,or tenders shopping list
- 2 Tbs butter shopping list
- 3/4 c orzo pasta shopping list
- 2 Tbs EVOO shopping list
- 1 small zucchini,finely chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot,finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 small red bell pepper,finely chopped shopping list
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion,finely chopped shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 c frozen green peas shopping list
- 1/4 c fine chopped flat leaf parsley shopping list
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel shopping list
How to make it
- In med. pot,bring chicken stock and chicken to a simmer. Lower the heat and poach chicken about 12 mins.
- Heat dutch oven or soup pot over med. heat. Add the butter to melt. Add the orzo and cook,stirring,until deeply toasted,3 to 5 mins. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the EVOO,2 turns of the pan,to dutch oven. Add the zucchini,carrot,bell pepper,shallots and garlic;season with salt and pepper. Cook,stirring occasionally,until the vegetables are softened,7 to 8 mins. Return orzo to pot.
- Remove chicken from stock. Skim and discard the fat from the stock;transfer the stock to the dutch oven. Chop,dice or shred the chicken and add to the soup with 2 c water. Bring soup to a boil and cook until the orzo is just tender,about 5 mins. Add the peas during the last min. of cooking.
- Turn off heat;stir in parsley and lemon peel. Serve immediately.