SchweinebratenFrom smurfetta 9 years ago
- 4-6 lbs pork butt or shoulder shopping list
- 2 Tbsp caraway seeds shopping list
- 1 Tbsp salt shopping list
- 2 tsp pepper shopping list
- 2 Tbsp oil shopping list
- 3 onions chopped roughly shopping list
- 6 carrots chopped roughly shopping list
- 1/2 cup water, stock, white wine shopping list
- 2 - 3 T flour shopping list
- 1 - 2 T butter shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Rub the pork all over with the caraway, salt, pepper and oil. Set aside and let come to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Mix together the onions and carrots and place in the bottom of a roasting pan just large enough to comfortably fit the roast.
- Pour the water, stock, white wine or beer into the pan.
- Place the roast, fat side down, in the roasting pan on top of the vegetables.. Cover with foil and place in the oven.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and turn the roast fat side up.
- Cut diamond crosshatches in the fat, and place the roast, uncovered back in the oven.
- Roast another 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours until the roast is done and well browned on the outside, or until a meat thermometer in the center of the roast reads 165°.
- Remove the roast to a cutting board and let rest for about 20 minutes while you make the gravy. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Strain the pan juices and save the vegetables to serve with the roast. Add water, stock, wine or beer to the pan juices to make 2 cups.
- Knead the flour and butter together with your fingers to make a doughy paste. Bring the pan juices to a simmer in a saucepan. Whisk small pieces of the butter-flour paste into the pan juices until they are thickened to your liking. Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the roast thinly and serve with the gravy on the side.
The Cooksmurfetta Huntsville, AL
- Not added to any groups yet!