War CakeFrom sher 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven 350*
- Boil together for 5 minutes Sugar, butter,spices raisins and water
- Do Not Boil Longer Than 5 minutes
- Cool to warm
- Dissolve soda in hot water add to raisin mixture
- add 3 cups flour mix well
- Pour into greased and floured pan bake1 hour at 350*
- 2 cups dried Cranberries in place of Raisins
- 2 large apples peeled and chopped about the size of fresh cranberries added at same time to boil.
The Cooksher New Minas, CA
The Rating2 people
After 50+ years, (that's how long I have been making this) it still is a favorite. I use oil instead of butter however. Still is very delicious. Thanks for post. BTW We called it Poor Man Saltana Cake. Same recipe nearly.dottiet in Woodward loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!