Cuban Black beans bacon and riceFrom peetabear 4 years ago
- 11/2 cups uncooked black beans, washed, pebbles removed or canned shopping list
- 2 slices good quality bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces( I use more) shopping list
- ½ small yellow onion, peeled, finely diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped shopping list
- 5 cups water or chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco hot sauce or to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired shopping list
- 6 cups warm cooked white rice ( use short grain brown rice) shopping list
How to make it
- soak beans overnight or bring them to a boil for 2 minutes . turn off heat. cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Drain beans well and set aside.
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp, reserving 1 tablespoon fat. Remove bacon, crumble it and set aside. Heat bacon fat on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are soft.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, including soaked beans and crumbled bacon. Bring all ingredients to a boil and reduce to a high simmer. Cook 1 hour 10 minutes or until beans are very tender and almost all of the cooking liquid has been absorbed.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- Gently mix into warm cooked rice.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating8 people
Spending almost 25 years in Miami, we have come to love Cuban cuisine. This is a wonderful side dish, (sometimes main dish).
J and Mquaziefly in ALL POINTS loved it
Yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
This sounds wonderful! I usually just put bacon in raw with the beans I cook...frying first and using the bacon drippings sounds sooooooooo much better. Thanks, Peeta! 5up
~Dianne~diannehocut in Little Rock loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!