GERMAN POTATO SALAD KARTOFFELSALATFrom bestcooker 7 years ago
- 6-8 medium potatoes (white or red, but we like red) shopping list
- 4 strips bacon, sliced shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped fairly small, but not minced shopping list
- 3/4 C. vinegar shopping list
- 3/4 C. sugar shopping list
- 1-1/2 C. cold water shopping list
- about 2 T. cornstarch shopping list
- 1-2 T. dried chopped parsley (or use fresh, if desired) shopping list
How to make it
- Cook potatoes in a large pot. Cool, peel, and cube. Place in large bowl and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Gently stir in onion and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Drain well on paper towels.
- In the same skillet the bacon was cooked in, combine vinegar, sugar, water, cornstarch, and parsley. Stir constantly and bring mixture to a rolling boil.
- Sprinkle bacon over potatoes, but do not stir. Pour hot sauce over all and gently stir in. Serve hot.
- Note: Do not use flour instead of cornstarch for the thickener or the sauce will be “cloudy” instead of clear. You can adjust the amounts of sugar and vinegar to best suit your taste and add more or less bacon as desired.
The Cookbestcooker NA
The Rating3 people
Easy and delicious! Served this with a chuck roast and fresh green beans for Sunday dinner. NO leftovers! Excellent. Thank you.joyride in Spotsylvania loved it
We lived in Germany for several years and this was my favorite food. Sooo good. Thanks for this recipe; it brings back many wonderful memories. Thanks for the post.tablescape in loved it