Basque Pork StewFrom chef2 4 years ago
- Basque pork Stew shopping list
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 2 lbs lean pork shoulder, cut in 1-1/2" cubes shopping list
- 3 tbs olive oil shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 onions, sliced thick shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 2 tbs tomato paste shopping list
- 2 sweet red peppers, cored and cut in strips shopping list
- 1/4 lb prosciutto (or baked ham), coarsely chopped shopping list
- 10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 tsp paprika shopping list
- 1 tsp dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 orange shopping list
How to make it
- Make Ahead Preparation:
- In deep skillet or shallow saucepan, heat 1 tb of the oil over medium-high heat; brown pork in batches, adding more oil as necessary. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to plate to keep warm.
- Add onions to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken stock and tomato paste to the hot pan to deglaze it and bring to a boil. Return pork to skillet. Add peppers, prosciutto, garlic, paprika, thyme and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Grate rind from orange; add orange zest to the stew. Peel remaining orange; chop coarsely and stir into stew.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. May be frozen for up to 2 months, thaw in refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Last Minute Assembly:
- Defrost stew overnight in refrigerator. Reheat over medium-low heat.
- Serve as is or over a bed of steamed rice or egg noodles.
- Note: This recipe would also lend itself well to a crockpot. Simply brown pork on all sides in oil in hot pan. Add to crockpot with remaining ingredients. Set to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
The Cookchef2 Las Vegas, NV
The Rating2 people
this one sounds yummy.turtle66 in Sacramento loved it
French Group132 members
Comfort Foods770 members
Everyday Chefs68 members
Just Love To Cook48 members
Family Favourites134 members
Pass Down Recipes313 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together134 members
Farm Country Cooking84 members
Restaurant Recipes68 members
The Chefs Table4 members