¡frijoles! Mexican Pinto BeansFrom freshrecipes 6 years ago
- 8 cups of water shopping list
- 1 chopped onion shopping list
- 4 minced garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 - 4 tsp. chipotle powder shopping list
- 1-2 tsp. ancho chile powder shopping list
- 3 tsp. cumin powder (comino) shopping list
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder shopping list
- 2 tsp. dried oregano shopping list
- 9 diced Roma (plum) tomatoes or one 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes. shopping list
- 1 diced bell pepper or 1 cup frozen diced bell peppers shopping list
- 3 cups dry beans shopping list
How to make it
- Wash beans thoroughly, checking that there are no stones. See Photo
- Heat water to boil in large pot.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and seasonings.
- When water is boiling again, add beans and boil for a minute or two. See Photo
- Pour into a crock pot. Cook on low until very tender, usually 5 hours. You can make it in the evening and let it cook overnight or make it in the morning and it will be ready for dinner.
- Add 2-3 tsp salt to taste when cooked.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, either queso cotija, queso fresco, cheddar or jack cheese, and chopped onion if desired.
- Excellent for making tostadas. Simply mash well-cooked beans with the pot liquor, no frying necessary.
- Store beans in small containers in the freezer. Sure beats opening a can!
People Who Like This Dish 18
The Cookfreshrecipes Berkeley, USA
- Not added to any groups yet!