Old Fashioned Beef 'Birds'From hungrybear 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 lb round steak shopping list
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper shopping list
- 3 tbsp shortening shopping list
- 1 can condensed consomme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the steak into 6 serving pieces and pound with a meat mallet or the edge of a saucer.
- Chop the mushrooms and mix with the onion and Cheddar cheese. Put 3 tablespoons of the mixture in the center of each piece of steak; reserve remaining mixture. Roll the beef pieces jellyroll style and fasten with a wooden toothpick. In a shallow dish or pie plate, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the meat rolls in the flour mixture, rolling to cover all sides.
- Melt the shortening in a large skillet and brown the meat rolls in the skillet. Pour off the drippings. Combine the consomme and dry mustard; add to the skillet with the steak rolls. Cover and cook slowly for 45 minutes. Add the remaining cheese mixture to skillet and continue to slow cook for another 45 minutes. If desired, thicken the liquid with some cornstarch or flour to make a gravy to serve over the steak rolls.