French Vanilla Bean Ice CreamFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
How to make it
- In a medium bowl, beat together the yolks and half of the sugar. You can beat by hand using a whisk or using a hand mixer. Beat until thoroughly smooth and creamy.
- Put cream, milk, the remaining half of the sugar, and the salt into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Scrape vanilla seeds from beans with the tip of a small knife into pan; add beans. Heat the mixture until just before it starts to simmer (do not let simmer). Remove mixture from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is standing, prepare an ice water bath in a bowl large enough to set another bowl easily inside of it. Set aside.
- Whisk in 1 cup of the cream mixture in a slow stream into the yolk mixture to temper it. Add another cup of the cream mixture; continue to whisk. Transfer the egg yolk mixture back to the saucepan with the remaining cream, milk and vanilla. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. You can run your finger in a line over the back of the coated spoon. If the mixture doesn't run, but stays in place on the spoon, it should be thick enough. Remove from heat.
- Pour custard through a medium-mesh sieve into a stainless steel bowl set in the ice-water bath See Photo. Let cool completely, stirring until completely chilled.
- Freeze custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. See Photo
People Who Like This Dish 16
- lafluers Lincoln, NE
- KimCast144 Portales, New Mexico
- doreenfish Thessalon, Canada
- pointsevenout Athens, AL
- SadiesMom Nowhere, Us
- sandwich_connoisseur Perth, Australia
- missvintagegold Nowhere, Us
- christina0580 Nowhere, Us
- SonyaBaca Nowhere, Us
- castaneda4 Grand Island, NE
- Plus 6 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating1 people
Oh YES! I've been looking for a really good vanilla bean ice cream all summer. Def making this. Great post.kristopher in San Francisco loved it
Made this today! I've been thinking about making it for 3 days. It was even better than anticipated. Didn't change a thing and it turned out beautifully. Perfect balance of vanilla.
DISCLAIMER: I'm a vanilla addict.kristopher in San Francisco loved it