German Style Potato SaladFrom pleclare 5 years ago
- 2-1/2 lbs small red skinned potatoes(about 15,2-3") scrubbed and cut in 1/4" slices shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 3 TB red wine vinegar shopping list
- 6 slices bacon shopping list
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 small onion,finely chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic,minced shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1/2 c beer or beef broth shopping list
- 2 TB German or other grainy mustard shopping list
- 1/4 c snipped fresh chives shopping list
- 2 TB chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- In large Dutch oven,bring 4 qts. of water to boil over high heat. Add potatoes and 1 TB salt,returning to boil,adjust heat to med-high and simmer till potatoes are tender,5 mins.
- Drain potatoes immediately and spread out on a baking sheet,sprinkle with 1-1/2 TB vinegar and rest for 15 mins till cool.
- Meanwhile in med. skillet over med-low heat ,fry the bacon,turning,until feendered and lightly browned,about 8 mins.
- Remove to paper-towel lined plate(when cool enough,crumble and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 TB fat from skillet and adjust heat to med. Add oil,onion and 1/2 tsp salt and cook,stirring occasionally until onion is soft and golden,about 4 mins.
- Addthe garlic and sugar and cook,stirring,until fragrant,about 40 seconds. Add the beer or broth,adjust heat to high and cook till reduced to about 1/4 c, about 3 mins. Add remainng vinegar,stir to mix and cook for 1 min. Off the heat,stir in mustard and pepper to tasre.
- Transfer potaoes and dressing to large bowl. Add bacon,chives and parsley and mix together to combine.Taste the salad and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper,if necessary. Serve warm or room temperature.