Smoked Ham Barley and Vegetable SoupFrom darbar 6 years ago
- 10 cups canned low-salt chicken broth shopping list
- 3 pounds smoked ham hocks (or diced ham and ¼ tsp. liquid smoke) shopping list
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled, diced shopping list
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup chopped celery shopping list
- 3/4 cup pearl barley, rinsed shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano shopping list
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Bring broth and ham hocks (or diced ham and liquid smoke) to boil in large pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes. Add diced potatoes, tomatoes with juices, onion, carrots, celery, barley, and oregano. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until meat and barley are tender, about 1 hour.
- Using tongs, remove ham hocks from soup. Cut meat off bones and chop coarsely. Return meat to soup; discard bones. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Add green beans; simmer until beans are tender, about 15 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.