Chicken, Bacon & Swiss CasseroleFrom essentialingredients 6 years ago
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken* breasts cooked & chopped shopping list
- 16 oz short cut pasta (I’ve used penne, cellentani, campanile, rigatoni, rotini – use whatever you prefer or have on hand) shopping list
- 8 slices bacon, cut into lardon shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (canola or vegetable oil is fine too, whatever you like to use) shopping list
- 1 small onion, grated shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, grated (pressed or minced works too; I grate mine on a microplane) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons onion & chive cream cheese shopping list
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup shopping list
- 1 soup can of milk shopping list
- 2 cups (or more or less, depending on how cheesy you like things) shredded Swiss** cheese shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- *This can also be made with cooked, chopped turkey breast cutlets. shopping list
- **Some people are a little overwhelmed by swiss cheese. I've made this with 1/2 Swiss and 1/2 Monterey Jack to mellow out the flavor. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until just slightly under al dente (since this will go into the oven and continue to cook).
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp; drain the fat and set aside.
- Drain the pasta.
- Return the hot pot to the stove (without the pasta for now) and put the heat on medium.
- Add the tablespoon of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the grated onion and grated (or pressed or minced) garlic to the pot and cook 2 minutes or so.
- Add the onion & chive cream cheese and stir to combine and to allow the cream cheese to soften well.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and the can of milk and stir well to combine everything.
- Turn off the heat and add the pasta back into the pot and stir to coat the pasta well.
- Add the cooked, chopped chicken to the pot as well as the bacon and the 2 cups swiss cheese and stir well to combine everything.
- Season the mixture with salt & pepper.
- Turn the mixture out into a 9x13 casserole dish and bake in the 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- (If you've forgotten to preheat your oven, as I so often do, you may want to extend this to 25 minutes or so.)
The Cookessentialingredients Kansas City, Missouri
- Not added to any groups yet!