Oxtail StewFrom shandy 3 years ago
- ■6½ lb (3kg) oxtail, cut into 1½ in (3.5cm) lengths shopping list
- ■½ cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- ■4 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- ■1 tbsp honey shopping list
- ■2 tbsp chopped thyme shopping list
- ■2 tbsp chopped rosemary shopping list
- ■salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- ■2 onions, chopped shopping list
- ■2 carrots, cut into large chunks shopping list
- ■1 fennel, diced leek, diced shopping list
- ■2 garlic cloves, sliced shopping list
- ■2 fresh hot red chiles, chopped (I could not find fresh chiles, so I used Sriracha sauce) shopping list
- ■one 750ml bottle hearty red wine shopping list
- ■chopped parsley, and the zest of a lemon to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- The stew can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 2 days, and gets better as it rests.
- 1.Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Toss the oxtail in flour that has been mixed with about a tablespoon of salt and pepper, (I also added a bit of chopped thyme), to coat lightly. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan (or dutch oven) over medium-high heat. In batches, add the oxtail and cook, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a large plate.
- 2.Drizzle the honey over the oxtail. Sprinkle with the thyme and rosemary, and season with more salt and pepper.
- 3.Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan (or dutch oven). Add the vegetables, garlic, and chiles and cook for 6 minutes, until softened. Place the oxtails on top of the vegetables and add the wine. Cover and bake for 2–3 hours, until the oxtail is very tender.
- 4.After you take it out of the oven you may have a bit of fat on top of the sauce, with a spoon skim the fat from the surface of the sauce.
- Serve over cheesy polenta. (recipe is posted.)