Portugese ChickenFrom pleclare 5 years ago
- 1 c flour shopping list
- 1 TB plus 1/4 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika shopping list
- 1 3 to 3-1/2 lb chicken,cut into pieces shopping list
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice shopping list
- 4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto,chopped shopping list
- 12 cipolline onions or 1" diameter pearl onions,blanched 1 min,peeled shopping list
- 2 lg. roasted red peppers from a jar,cut in 3/4" strips shopping list
- 6 lg. garlic cloves ,pressed shopping list
- 4 lg. Italian parsley sprigs shopping list
- 4 lg bay leaves,bruised shopping list
- 1/2 c dry white wine shopping list
- 1/2 c tawny Port shopping list
- 1 TB Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 TB tomato paste shopping list
- 1 TB butter,room temperature shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350'
- Whisk 1 c flour,1 TB paprika,1-1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper in large bowl. Add chicken to seasoned flour,1 at a time and turn to coat. Heat oil in heavy,large ,ovenproof pot over med-high. Add chicken ,skin side down,and saute till brown,3 to 5 mins per side. Transfer chicken to plate;reserve skillet.
- Arrange chicken in single layer in ovenproof pot. Top with tomatoes and juice,prosciutto,onions,peppers,garlic,parsley,and bay leaves;sprinkle with 1/4 tsp paprika. Add wine and port to reserved skillet. Bring to boil,scraping up browned bits. Remove from heat. Whisk in mustard and tomato paste;pour mixture over chicken and bring to boil.
- Cover;transfer to oven.
- Braise chicken till very tender,about 1-1/2 hours. Discard bayl eaves and parsley. Using tongs,transfer chicken and toppings to platter. Return sauce in pot to simmer. If thicker sauce is desired,stir 1 TB flour and butter in small bowl until smooth paste forms. Add flour paste to sauce and whisk to blend.
- Simmer till sauce thickens to desired consistency,whisking often.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon over chicken and serve.