Unstuffed Rigatoni ManicottiFrom gkwillow 6 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or diced if you like chunkier veggies) shopping list
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni pasta shopping list
- additional mozzarella for topping shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Saute onion and garlic* in olive oil; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion is translucent. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, blend together ricotta, mozzarella, egg, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cover the bottom of a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with about 1 cup of the tomato sauce. Layer with half of the pasta, half of the cheese mixture, the remaining tomato sauce, and remaining pasta. Finish with remaining cheese mixture and additional mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- *I used a can of diced tomatoes flavored with olive oil and garlic - so omitted the minced garlic.