Gratin DauphinoiseFrom luisascatering 3 years ago
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed shopping list
- kosher salt and white pepper, to taste shopping list
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1 cup half and half (or milk, or cream) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds potatoes (I like yukon golds), peeled and thinly sliced (with mandoline or slice attachement on food processor) shopping list
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups emmentaler swiss cheese (optional), grated shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg and half and half in a saucepan and bring to a slow simmer over low heat. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- While the milk simmers, butter the bottom of a gratin dish or 9-inch square baking pan. Layer half the potatoes nicely in the dish. Cover with half the cheese, if using. Pour over half the cream over the potatoes. Layer the rest of the potatoes on top of the first layer, cover with the remaining cheese and pour over the rest of the milk.
- Bake uncovered until the potatoes are cooked through and the surface is browned, about 40-50 minutes.