Maltese Ravioli Sauce RecipeFrom frenchforfoodies 5 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- * 4 cloves garlic shopping list
- * 6 whole tomatoes (Tessie insists they must be super-red vine ripened roma tomatoes) shopping list
- * 1 tsp white sugar (start with 1/2 teaspoon and add the remaining half to taste as some may find the full amount a little too much) shopping list
- * 2 bay leaves (dried) shopping list
- * 1 tbsp good quality tomato paste shopping list
- * extra virgin olive oil (preferably Spanish) shopping list
- * Freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste shopping list
- And now for her ‘secret’ ingredient… shopping list
- Wait for it…. shopping list
- 1 chicken stock cube! shopping list
How to make it
- Using a medium sized, heavy based pot, fill the base with olive oil to the depth of approximately halfway up your index fingertip. Peel and dice the garlic lengthways. You can add 2 extra cloves if you wish, it only intensifies the flavour (in a good way). Add the diced garlic to the pot with oil and gently fry the garlic at a low heat being careful not to burn them.
- Fill a separate small pot with water and bring it to the boil. Add the tomatoes and boil for approximately 3 minutes, until you begin to see the skin peeling away from the flesh. Remove from the boiling water, discard water and then peel tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot with oil and garlic and chop them into small pieces with sharp knife. Simmer at a low heat and stir continually as the sauce begins to thicken and reduce. Gradually add a few drops of water, then add the stock cube and the bay leaves. Stir and simmer for a further 10 minutes then add the tomato paste, sugar and salt and pepper. Keep on a low simmer for a further ten minutes for the sauce to reduce and flavours intensify. Remove bay leaves before serving.
The Cookfrenchforfoodies Paris, France
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!