Portuguese ChickenFrom dond 6 years ago
- 1 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 Tbsp plus ¼ tsp Hungarian sweet paprika shopping list
- 1 3- to 3 ¼-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces shopping list
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice shopping list
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped shopping list
- 12 cipolline onions or 1-inch-diameter pearl onions, blanched 1 minute, peeled shopping list
- 2 large roasted red peppers from jar, halved, cut into ¾-inch-wide strips shopping list
- 6 large garlic cloves, pressed shopping list
- 4 large fresh Italian parsley sprigs shopping list
- 4 large fresh bay leaves, bruised shopping list
- ½ cup dry white wine shopping list
- ½ cup tawny Port shopping list
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1 Tbsp butter, room temperature (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk 1 cup flour, 1 Tbsp paprika, 1½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper in large bowl. Add chicken pieces, 1 at a time, and turn to coat. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and sauté until brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate; reserve skillet.
- Arrange chicken in single layer in large ovenproof pot (a braising pan is ideal for this). Top with tomatoes and juice, diced prosciutto, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, and bay leaves; sprinkle with ¼ tsp paprika.
- Add wine and Port to reserved skillet. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Remove from heat. Whisk in mustard and tomato paste until sauce is smooth; pour mixture over chicken and bring to boil. Cover pot and transfer to oven.
- Braise chicken until very tender, about 1½ hours. Remove pot from oven.
- Discard bay leaves and parsley. Using tongs, transfer chicken and toppings to platter. Cover chicken with foil and keep warm.
- Place pot on stove and bring sauce to simmer. Continue to cook until sauce has reduced by about a third, whisking often.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon over chicken and serve.
The Cookdond Rockville, MD
- Not added to any groups yet!