Hong Kong Style Sausage RollsFrom Yinhomemade 5 years ago
- 8 frankfurt sausages or any kind to your liking shopping list
- A shopping list
- 350 gm high grade flour (bread flour ) shopping list
- 55 gm caster sugar shopping list
- 5 gm salt shopping list
- 7 gm milk powder (optional) shopping list
- 5 to 6 gm instant dry yeast shopping list
- B shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 100-125 ml milk (slowly add in, stop adding if dough too gooey) shopping list
- 120 gm Tangzhong (refer here for making tanzhong) shopping list
- C shopping list
- 30 gm butter ( softened at room temperature) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all dry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Whisk and combine wet ingredients: egg and Tangzhong, then pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Slowly add in milk.
- Knead until you get a dough shape and gluten has developed about 10-15 minutes (hand knead), and then knead in the butter.
- If you hand knead like I do, do expect to deal with gooey dough at this stage. You can opt for bread maker if you have one.
- Keep kneading until the dough is smooth, not sticky and elastic. The time of kneading depends on how hard and fast you knead. I used to set the timer to 15 minutes to monitor my kneading time.
- Test if the dough is ready by stretching the dough with two hands. If it forms a thin "membrane" that's very elastic in texture. That means you have successfully kneaded the dough to a perfect stage.
- If you use bread maker then add wet ingredients into bread maker first, then followed by the dry ingredients. The yeast is the last to add.
- Knead the dough into a ball shape. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a wet towel or cling wrap.
- Let it proof till it's doubled in size, about 2 hours. Use finger to test doneness. Poke in and if finger impression remains, this confirms the dough is nicely proofed.
- The time will vary and depends on the weather. The best temperature for proofing is 28C. You can place a cup of water in microwave and heat at high for 2 minutes to create a warm spot, once done then place the dough in to proof.
- Transfer to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide the dough into eight equal portions. Knead into ball shapes. Cover and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead each part into a long tube, depends on the length of your sausages. Roll to enclose the sausage, with seals facing down.
- Place rolls on a tray lined with baking paper, covered with cling wrap or a wet towel. Leave for the 2nd proofing, about 45 to 60 minutes or until double in size.
- Brush whisked egg on surface of rolls or lightly spray water on the shaped dough. Bake in a pre-heated 180C (356F) oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
The CookYinhomemade North Shore City, New Zealand
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!