Spaetzle With Sausage And SpinachFrom keni 3 years ago
- 1lb spaetzle, either purchased or home made(I use basic, traditional measurements, but I use semolina rather than AP flour) shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 1 large onion shopping list
- 12oz fresh mushrooms, chopped shopping list
- about 1lb fresh baby spinach, roughly torn shopping list
- 2 large or 3 small/medium tomatoes(or 2 cans diced, drained) shopping list
- 1-1 1/2lbs smoked German sausage(I used a knackwurst), sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup quality German, Dutch, Austrian, or similar mustard, whole grain, if possible. shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- about 1/2 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1T Hungarian paprika(hot or sweet, but do not sub another region's version shopping list
- 2t dry mustard shopping list
- plenty of fresh ground black pepper and kosher or sea salt shopping list
- 8oz havarti cheese, grated(I used dill:) shopping list
How to make it
- Set water to boil to cook spaetzle
- In Dutch oven, or similar(I used cast iron), melt butter and add onion.
- Cook about 7 minutes, stirring often, until they soften and are translucent.
- Add mushrooms, sausage and tomatoes and mix well to combine
- Cook over low heat to slightly cook down the mushrooms and heat the sausage and tomatoes through.
- Add cream, mustard, spinach, dry mustard, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Continue to cook over low heat, stirring often, to thicken and heat.
- Meanwhile, boil spaetzle as directed and drain.
- When drained, immediately add to pan with the cream mixture and carefully stir to combine well. Add chicken stock, if mixture seems a lil too thick once the dumplings are added. It's just to help thin it out, if you don't need it, don't bother! :)
- Add paprika and stir again.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and a touch more paprika, if desired, at serving.