French Onion Soup With A TwistFrom Good4U 4 years ago
- I did this for 2 you can adjust for more. shopping list
- 1 large vidalia onion cleaned and sliced shopping list
- 1 large cooking onion cleaned and sliced shopping list
- 2 slices of French bread sliced (or could be gluten free) shopping list
- 6 or more slices of swiss cheese depending on the size shopping list
- 2 cups veggie stock or broth of choice I used beef broth. shopping list
- 4 cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced (optional) shopping list
- 1 ounce good dry red wine (optional) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons canola oil shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 tsp dried parsley for top (optional) shopping list
- scallions cleaned and sliced for garnish (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large fry pan on medium heat add onions, stirring frying until almost caramelized. Remove from pan and if adding mushrooms lightly saute them in the same pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the onions and mushrooms to a small pot and add veggie stock or stock broth of your choice, Stir in cooking until bubbling add wine. (optional) Remove from heat. Toast bread slightly on both sides.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Take two oven proof French Onion soup dishes or oven proof bowls.
- Add a large spoonful of mixture from the fry pan add to bowl. Place bread on top add another spoonful of mixture on top. Place a couple of slices of Swiss Cheese on top. Cover it again with mixture then add Swiss Cheese until it cover the top. Top with parsley optional.
- Repeat with other bowl.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Then turn on the broiler keeping a very close an eye on it. When the top is browned remove from oven. Careful it will be very hot. Usually takes 5 to 10 minutes depending on how close to the broiler burner you have them.
- Place on a plate garnish with scallions if you wish. It will be very hot warn people to take care!!
- This freezes very well just make sure it is cooled down before freezing it.