Chicken EnchilladasFrom Noms 3 years ago
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken (I use the thighs for this, but you can use the breast if you choose) shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3 tbsp adobo seasoning shopping list
- 1/4 cup of water shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper; chopped shopping list
- 1/2 small onion; chopped shopping list
- 1 can black beans OR 1 can refried beans shopping list
- 4 oz. New York sharp cheddar cheese; shredded shopping list
- 8 oz. Pepper Jack cheese; shredded shopping list
- 12 six inch flour tortillas shopping list
- 1 recipe red enchilada sauce shopping list
Red Enchilada Sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 3 tbsp flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 of a medium onion; minced shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic; minced shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp coca power shopping list
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce shopping list
How to make it
for the chicken
- Heat a 9 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chicken. Cook until the chicken is near done and can easily be shredded in the pan.
- Shred the chicken. You can shred the chicken in the pan or remove it if it is easier to do so. If you shred it on a cutting board put it back in the pan when finished.
- In a 1/4 cup of water mix the adobe seasoning into a paste. Scoop the adobo paste onto the chicken and cook 5-10 minutes. Remove chicken from heat.
for the enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Set up a small assembly line with your tortilla shells, sharp cheddar cheese, green bell pepper, onion, beans and seasoned chicken.
- Make 12 enchiladas by adding all the above ingredients, gently roll them and place them into the baking dish. You should get 10 enchiladas to fit the length and then you can tuck 2 more under the row of 10.
- Cover the enchiladas with the recipe of red enchilada sauce.
- Top the dish with the shredded pepper jack cheese and back for 35-45 minutes or until that cheese is nice and brown.
for the sauce
- In a 2 quart sauce pan heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the flour and make a roux, cook for one min.
- Add the chili powder, the minced garlic and the minced onion to the roux and cook for another min.
- Add the chicken stock and mix until thick.
- Add the Mexican oregano, cumin and coca powder.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Mix the sauce until thick then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 45 min. Mix occasionally to prevent anything from burning to the bottom of your pan.
- Poor sauce over your favorite enchilada dish and enjoy!
The CookNoms Cleveland, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!