Beefy Short Ribs In A Crock PotFrom DetroitTokyo 3 years ago
- 3 pounds beef short ribs (the meatier the better) shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour + 2-3 tbsp shopping list
- salt to taste (I used about 3/4 tsp) shopping list
- pepper to taste (I used about 1/3 tsp) shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3/4 cup red wine (I used a merlot/Malbec blend, anything is fine as long as it's not sweet) shopping list
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1/2 large onion, diced shopping list
- 3-5 garlic cloves, crushed shopping list
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs shopping list
- 1 tbsp Balsamic/red wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire shopping list
- 1 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flour with salt & pepper in a pie plate or similar. Dredge short ribs.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Brown short ribs on all sides then transfer to crock pot.
- Arrange chopped onions, garlic cloves, and thyme sprigs in between and around ribs See Photo. Combine wine, stock, vinegar, Worcestershire and sugar and mix to combine. Pour over ribs. They should just be covered in liquid, if needed add a bit of water.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. I cooked on high for 3 hours and low for 2 hours and they came out perfectly tender but not falling off the bone b/c 's we prefer them with a bit of chew.
- Remove crock pot from cooker and ladle 2 cups of liquid into a small stock pot. Skim the top and dispose of fat. Add 2-3 tbsp flour and whisk well until smooth and thickened to desired consistency.
- *Note: After lots of deliberation with my buddies on here I'd say that the first step may not be necessary. You may also just season the ribs with s&p and place in crock pot without browning first. It's up to you :)
- I served this with purple potatoes prepared like this: Mashed Redskin Potatoes along with carrots, zucchini and red onion simply sauteed in butter and seasoned with s&p (started the carrots first).