Simple Cooked Chicken And StockFrom keni 5 years ago
- 1 whole chicken(I leave all the goodies inside the chicken for better flavored stock) shopping list
- 1 large or 2 small/medium onions, halved or quartered shopping list
- about 4 cloves garlic shopping list
- 3 stalks celery cut in half or thirds shopping list
- 2-3 carrots, cut in half or thirds shopping list
- about 1T whole pepper corns shopping list
- fresh or dried herbs such as parsley, sage, thyme, a lil rosemary shopping list
- left overs of any other veggies you may have such as broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc shopping list
- 2 cups premade or purchased chicken stock shopping list
- 6 cups water shopping list
- kosher or sea salt shopping list
How to make it
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT water in the slow cooker and cook on low for about 5-6 hours.
- When chicken is done, remove it from the bones using long kitchen tongs. The meat should pull away very easily from the bones and the skin.(I just do this right in the slow cooker, no need to remove it first. Just peel the meat off) Package this for desired future use.
- Add water to the pot and increase heat to high and cook about 1 more hour.
- When done, pour contents into a large strainer, colander over a large bowl to separate all the bones/veggies, etc, from the stock.
- Let cool overnight, then skim off the top layer of the solidified fat and discard.
- Your stock is ready to use, can, or freeze.