Conch Fritters With Dipping SauceFrom efitobx 1 year ago
- Fritters: shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- ¼ salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup firmly packed ground conch shopping list
- ½ cup green bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped shopping list
- 1 habanero chili cored, seeded and finely chopped (optional) shopping list
- ½ cup red bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped shopping list
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- ½ cup milk shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice shopping list
- Dash hot sauce, or to taste shopping list
- oil, for frying shopping list
- Dipping Sauce (Make Ahead) shopping list
- 1/2 cup salsa shopping list
- 1 cup real mayonnaise shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper, or to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, combine the ground conch, green and red peppers, onions and garlic, making sure the conch is well distributed. Add the conch mixture to the flour mixture.
- Whisk together the milk, egg, lime juice and hot sauce. Add to the conch mixture, stirring until everything is well mixed. Cover and refrigerate an hour so the batter thickens.
- Heat about 1/4-inch oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place about a heaping tablespoon conch batter for each fritter carefully into the skillet, without crowding. Press down very lightly on each portion of batter to flatten. The fritters will spread slightly.
- Cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side or until nicely browned and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep fritters warm in a 200-degree oven while you cook remaining batter.)
- Dipping Sauce:
- In a blender, puree the salsa. Place in a nonreactive bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk well. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Stir before serving
- To serve, place six fritters on four plates. Place about 6 tablespoons dipping sauce in four small bowls. Serve one with each serving. Makes 24 fritters;
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookefitobx Norfolk, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!