Individual Shepherds Pie with Scallion-Cheese Potato CrustFrom luisascatering 4 years ago
- For filling: shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 pound organic ground beef shopping list
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped very small shopping list
- 1 tablespoon double concentrated tomato puree shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves shopping list
- pinch of ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- concentrated beef stock paste, to taste shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- For the crust: shopping list
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes shopping list
- sea salt, to taste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup scallions, cleaned and chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas shopping list
- 1 cup extra sharp white cheddar, coarsely grated shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or deep saute pan. Brown the beef. Remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon. Add the onions to the pan and saute until the onions are tinged brown at the edges - about 5 minutes. Add the chopped carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree, parsley and cinnamon. Stir and saute for 2 minutes. Next, stir in the flour, which will soak up the juice, then stir in the beef stock and water. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Return the meat to the pan and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into large even-sized pieces and place into a pot of cold, salted water. Bring the water to a boil and cook potatoes until they are tender, done when a knife can easily go through.
- When the potatoes are done, drain off the water, return them to the saucepan, cover with a clean tea cloth to absorb the steam and leave them for about 5 minutes. Next, add the butter and mash them to a puree (I always use my ricer). Add the cheese, scallions and peas. Season with salt and pepper. See Photo
- Spoon meat sauce into small pie tins and level it out with the back of the spoon See Photo. After that, spread the mashed potato evenly all over. Sprinkle additional cheese on top See Photo. Place all pies on a large baking sheet and bake the pies until the top is crusty and golden, about 25 minutes.