Sauerbraten Rheinische Art ( From Cologne )From PongoUSA 1 year ago
- 2 carrots shopping list
- 1 leek shopping list
- 2 stalks celery shopping list
- 2 onions shopping list
- 1 ltr. water shopping list
- 250 ml red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 250 ml red wine shopping list
- 2 bay leafs shopping list
- 4 cloves shopping list
- 4 juniper berries,chrushed shopping list
- 3 lb beef shoulder ( like a Diamond Jim roast ) shopping list
- S+P shopping list
- 2 tb canola oil shopping list
- 1 Lebkuchen or a handful gingersnaps shopping list
- 4 tb raisins shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and roughly chop the veggies, thinly slice the onions. Bring water with vinegar, wine, veggies, bay leafs, juniper berries and cloves to a boil, let cool somewhat. Put beef in a large bowl, pour the warm marinade over it,cover and marinate in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- Heat oven to 320 F ( 160 C ). Take the meat out of the marinade, dry and rub with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy pot, and sear the meat from all sides to a nice brown. Add 1/3 of the marinade, the veggies and the spices from the marinating and bring to a boil. Cover and braise in the oven for 3 hours, moistening the meat with the braising liquid every 1/2 hour.
- Soak raisins in some of the marinade. When the meat is done, take it out and wrap it in tin foil, let it rest 15 min.
- Strain the braising liquid through a sieve in a small pot, grate the Lebkuchen into the sauce. Let reduce by 1/3 and add the soaked raisins. Let simmer for a couple minutes, adjust seasonings. If you like the sauce thicker, thicken it with some starch,
- Cut the meat into slices, arrange on a warm platter and drizzle some sauce over. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.