Creamy Heirloom Tomato SoupFrom luisascatering 4 months ago
- Good tasting extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium sweet maui onions, chopped shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1-2 small hot red chili peppers, diced shopping list
- 1 generous tablespoon double concentrated tomato paste shopping list
- homemade chicken stock (about 3 cups) shopping list
- a couple stems of fresh basil leaves shopping list
- 10 large delicious ripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped (do capture their juices for the soup) shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Generously film the bottom of a 12-quart pot with olive oil. Set over medium high heat. When warm, add onions and about 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to color.
- Stir in the garlic, red pepper, and tomato paste. Cook 1 minute. Add broth, basil, and tomatoes. Bring to a lively simmer, cover the pot, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tomatoes are softened and soup tastes fresh, but mellow. Remove basil stems and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add cream and puree two-thirds a hand held blender or regular blender. Rewarm or serve close to room temperature. Garnish each bowl of soup with a drizzle of evoo, small fresh basil leaves and freshly cracked black pepper.