Brazilian Style Kale And BaconFrom gourmetana 1 year ago
How to make it
- Wash the collard greens or kale under cold running water. Shake to remove the excess water. With a sharp knife or your hands, cut off the leaves from their tough stems. Gather them together into piles. Take each pile and roll it tightly See Photo. Cut them into thin strips crosswise (about 1/4-inch strips).
- In a medium pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Place the trimmed leaves in a colander. Pour the boiling water over the leaves to slightly wilt and then drain well to remove all the added liquid (you can shake the colander or press down gently on the greens with a spoon).
- Cook the diced bacon in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until there are no more pink, white, or translucent areas on the bacon. If necessary, add 1 Tbsp oil to sauté shallot with garlic, stirring often, until they are lightly browned.
- Add greens and salt, pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until greens are tender but bright green.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve.