Green Tomatoe Garlic Dill Pickles - CannedFrom dsmith0616 7 years ago
- green tomatoes - 4-5 med for pints, double for quarts shopping list
- Peeled, fresh garlic cloves, 2 per pint (3-4 if doing quarts) shopping list
- fresh dill sprigs, 1 per jar shopping list
- 1 tbl dill seed per pint (1 1/2 tbl per quart) shopping list
- 1 dried hot pepper, or one hot cherry pepper, or 1 tsp red pepper flakes shopping list
- pickle Crisp (Ball makes this, it is food-grade calcium chloride) *optional shopping list
- White, distilled vinegar - 4 cups shopping list
- water - 12 cups shopping list
- Kosher (or "canning") salt - 2/3 cup shopping list
How to make it
- Fill and boil water bath canner
- Green tomatoes - I slice them horizontally; they are lace-like in the jar and beautiful. any thickness you like, I will do one jar with the leftover "shoulder" pieces and chunky parts, and some sliced with the mandoline, very thin - however you prefer! I've even take very small and green cherry tomatoes, pike a hole or two with a pin, and do them whole, what a neat treat around the holidays!
- Wash and sterilize jars and rings.
- Boil water, vinegar and salt, over med - med high
- Place ingredients in jar then pack the tomatoes. I lay the slices on the outside, they are so pretty, then pack regular.
- Once packed, seals and rings placed - hot water bath for 10 minutes, according to guidelines.
- Let sit for a minimum of 1 week for flavors to develop.
- * Now... for a REAL treat... take the pickles out and drain, batter and fry and serve with tartar sauce - heaven. (keep the juice for potatoe salad, deviled eggs, etc)
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookdsmith0616 VA
- Not added to any groups yet!