Grilled Eggplant SteaksFrom primalux 7 years ago
How to make it
- Take one large eggplant and slice it into rounds about 1/2 to 1 inch thick
- Lay the slices out on a kitchen towel or wire racks and sprinkle them liberally with salt
- Lay another towel or some paper towels on top of them and then put a large cutting board or a large skillet on top of them. Add something like a coffee can on top of that for weight. Basically we're trying to get as much moisture as possible out of the eggplant. If you've ever pressed tofu before cooking it, it's basically the same concept.
- In a bowl, mix the oil, garlic, basil, some salt and pepper, and whatever other spices you like.
- After half an hour flip the slices over and repeat the salting and pressing steps.
- Half an hour later remove the slices and rinse them very, very well. Press them lightly with an absorbant towel to dry.
- Brush the oil mixture onto the slices, covering both sides really well.
- Put the slices on the grill and continue to brush them with whatever you've got left of the oil mixture
- Flip them halfway through cooking. They're done once they're heated all the way through really, I like them a little blackened though, so feel free to leave them on as long as you'd like