Vegetarian French Onion SoupFrom primalux 7 years ago
- 2 tbsp butter shopping list
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 5 large onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp salt, plus a bit more to finish shopping list
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- 6 cups vegetable broth (homemade or canned, I may include a recipe at a later time) shopping list
- 1/3 cup dry sherry shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped, or 1/2 tsp dried shopping list
- black pepper to taste shopping list
- 6 1/2 inch slices of French bread shopping list
- 6 slices of a white, melting cheese (I used swiss) or 2 1/2 cups grated cheese (gruyere or Jarlsberg are pretty tradtional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter and the oil.
- Add the onions, sugar, and salt and cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have carmelized, which should take anywhere from 20 - 40 minutes
- Add the flour and cook while stirring for 1 minute
- Add the broth, sherry, and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler and broil the slices of bread until lightly toasted. Add butter to the bread if you'd like.
- Put the soup in 6 ovenproof bowls and set them on a baking sheet.
- Cover with the bread slices, which you may need to cut to fit.
- Put the cheese on top of the bread slices.
- Put the baking sheet under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.