Basic Corn BreadFrom heatherbudapest 7 years ago
- butter for the pan shopping list
- 1 cup cornmeal shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk or yogurt shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons sugar or honey shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch square pan (or a 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet) with butter.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Combine the wet ingredients (including sugar or honey) separately. Stir the wet mixture into the dry, mixing just enough to thoroughly combine. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the center is firm to the touch. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
- Variation #1: Mexican Corn and Cheese Bread: Make the batter as described above, with the following additions stirred into the batter: 1 cup fresh or frozen/defrosted corn, 1/2 cup (packed) grated mild white cheese, 3-4 scallions, minced. Optional: replace the melted butter with olive oil.
- Variation #2: Blueberry Corn Bread: Make the batter as described above, increasing the sugar or honey to 1/4 cup. Add 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries, stirring them gently into the batter. (Note: You can use frozen unsweetened blueberries. Defrost and drain before using.)