Jamaica Me Crazy Black Bottom PieFrom notyourmomma 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups of crushed gingersnap cookies shopping list
- 1/4 cup of butter melted shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger mixed with 1/4 cup of sugar shopping list
- 1 env. of unflavored gelatin shopping list
- 1/4 cup of cold water shopping list
- 2 cups of whole milk, scalded shopping list
- 1/2 cup of sugar shopping list
- 4 teaspoons of cornstarch shopping list
- 4 egg yolks, beaten till pale yellow shopping list
- 1 1/2 squares of semi-sweet chocolate melted shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of dark Jamaican rum shopping list
- 4 egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar shopping list
- 1/4 cup of sugar shopping list
- whipped cream shopping list
- Shaved chocolate shopping list
- Slivered candied ginger pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare crust by mixing crumbs, sugar, ginger and butter. Mix well. Press into a nine inch baking dish. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Soften gelatin in water. Combine sugar and cornstarch; slowly mix with egg yolks and milk. Cook in double boiler ever, not in, hot water about 20 minutes, stirring, until custard heavily coats a spoon.
- Take out one cup of custard and add melted chocolate to it and beat well until blended and let it cool. Add vanilla; pour custard mixture into pie shell. Dissolve softened gelatin in remaining custard (be sure this part of the custard is hot) Let cool but do not let stiffen. Stir in rum, Beat egg whites until foamy; add cream of tartar; beat until stiff but not dry. Beat in sugar gradually 1 Tablespoon at a time, Fold egg whites into custard. Pour custard over chocolate layer and chill to set. Serve garnished with whipped cream and big shavings of chocolate and candied ginger.