Amish Apple PieFrom henrie 6 years ago
- Streusel: shopping list
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg shopping list
- speck of salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold shopping list
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped English walnuts shopping list
- 4 large apples, McIntosh, Granny Smith or Spies (4 cups) shopping list
- 1 unbaked 10" pie shell shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- In a food processor bowl, mix the first 6 streusel ingredients. Add the butter and process until the mixture is crumbly; it should still have a dry look to it --- don't overprocess. Add the nuts, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples; there should be 4 cups. Place the apples in the pie shell.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl, and add the cream and vanilla.
- Add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture and blend.
- Pour over the apples. Bake for 1 hour in the lower one-third of th oven. After 20 minutes, sprinkle streusel over the top and continue baking approximately 40 minutes longer, or until the top puffs and is golden brown.