Macedonian Ajvar Roasted Red Pepper SpreadFrom heatherbudapest 7 years ago
- * 8-12 fresh red paprika (mild or medium-hot, to taste) shopping list
- * 4 medium-size eggplants shopping list
- * 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- * 1 large onion, minced shopping list
- * 3 large garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- * 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar) shopping list
- * salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- * Chopped fresh parsley for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Roast the paprika and eggplants over charcoal or a gas flame, or bake them in a preheated 475 F oven, until the skin is blistered and darkened. Place the roasted vegetables in a paper bag and let them steam in their own heat for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard the burnt skin along with the stems and seeds. Mash the peppers and eggplant pulp together to form a slightly chunky mass. You can do this with a fork or in a food processor.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and saute the onion until very soft. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper-eggplant pulp, mixing well. Slowly drizzle the remaining oil into the mixture, stirring constantly to incorporate all of the oil. Add lemon juice or vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley.
- Serve as an appetizer to spread on thick slices of country-style white bread or flat pita bread with chunks of feta cheese, or use as a side dish to accompany grilled or roasted meats.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings, as an appetizer or side dish.