Peach Rum JamFrom shandy 6 years ago
- 6 c. coarsely chopped peeled peaches. Slightly mash after you have marinated and put them into the saucepan. shopping list
- 2 c. packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 6 T. strained freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- 3/4 c. dark rum, preferably jamaican shopping list
- 2 c. granulated sugar shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, combine peaches with the brown sugar, lemon juice and about half of the rum, stirring to mix.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature six hours or overnight.
- Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water. The jars should be sterilized in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes, then leave in hot water till ready to fill.
- Pour the fruit mixture into a large saucepan or Dutch oven and mash slightly.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat to medium-low heat and cook the mixture until the peach chunks begin to look translucent, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- If the jam becomes to thick and threatens to scorch before the fruit is done, add 2 or 3 T. water.
- Add the granulated sugar and increase heat to medium-high. Cook rapidly, stirring almost constantly, until a spoonful placed on a saucer and refrigerated for a few minutes wrinkles instead of rums when the saucer is tilted. You will have to stir for a while with the jam boiling, about 20 minutes.
- Add remaining rum and stir the jam. It will boil up when you add the rum. Stir for 2 minutes over the medium-high heat.
- Ladle boiling-hot jam into hot, prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Top with lids and process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!