Hearty RavioliFrom vegalicious 8 years ago
- 450 grams of spinach, large stems removed and chopped shopping list
- 1 tbs. grainy mustard shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 2 tbs. bread crumbs shopping list
- 1 c. semolina four shopping list
- 2 tsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 onion, minced shopping list
- 1 tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- various Italian herbs (fresh would be best) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- dash of lemon shopping list
- pinch of cayenne pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl, combine the semolina four, 2 tsp. olive oil, 1/2 cup water and a pinch salt to make a dough.
- Wrap in a towel and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash the spinach and remove the large tough stems.
- Chop the spinach and steam or saute in water. (sweat)
- Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mustard, a pinch of salt and bread-crumbs and mix well.
- Season further with salt, cayenne and pepper.
- Set filling aside
- Saute the minced onion in the olive oil until the onion is glassy.
- Add the minced garlic and saute.
- Add the tomatoes and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add the herbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper and continue to simmer on a low heat.
- Season to taste with additional salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Set the sauce aside.
- Divide the dough in fourths and roll out each portion on a floured work space,, allowing the first sheet of pasta to sit while rolling out the second. One of the tricks to the pasta is, to make sure you've rolled the dough out very thin (but not too thin!).
- Cut out your ravioli shapes and fill with the filling. Place the top part of the ravioli over the filling and close with a fork. If you have a form or press, then of course that saves time you merely place 1 sheet of dough on one side, put the filling on the dough and then lay the 2nd sheet of dough on top. Close the form to seal and cut off the extra using a knife.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salty water to boil.
- Put your ravioli into the salty water and cook a few at a time. They are ready when they come floating to the top.
- Place the first cooked raviolis in the oven to keep warm until they are all ready.
- When ready to serve, put a layer of sauce on the plate and lay the raviolis on top.
- You can garnish with some fresh cut herbs or if you have soy cheese, you can dust some on top.
People Who Like This Dish 67
The Cookvegalicious Almere, NL
The Rating8 people
LOL...I have to admit, I saw "hearty ravioli" and thought "ooooOOooo great ravioli recipe" and then opened it up to a photo of a heart! That was funny.
But really, I want to try this ^_^silver_raven_venus in Riverview loved it
Go figure it was YOU who posted this great one.
Good going....was this one you created by experimenting? I really like the heart shape. I never really gave much thought to make ravioli in shapes other than squares. I have an att...morepollymotzko in Garden Grove loved it
Greatness here my friend. Sounds tasty and looks gorgeous. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it