Spaghetti with cherry tomato sauceFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- 5 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 shallot, chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved shopping list
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 5 slices of pancetta/coppa/bacon, chopped shopping list
- 1-2 handful stale bread, torn into tiny chunks shopping list
- fresh basil and oregano to taste shopping list
- fresh grated parmesan to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil, then add salt. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Fry the chopped pancetta/coppa/bacon in a frying pan (no additional butter/fat needed!) until crisp and lightly browned, drain on a paper towel and set aside. you will need the pan again.
- Heat 4 tbsp of olive oil in a separate, larger frying pan,
- add the chopped shallot and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and be careful to not let the shallots gain color.
- Then add the halved cherry tomatoes and season to taste with coarse sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, a pinch of ground dried chiles or cheyenne pepper and let simmer for a few minutes.
- heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in the earlier used “bacon pan”. Lightly fry small chunks of stale bread until golden brown. Set aside.
- Add 4 to 6 tbsp of the “pasta water” to the simmering tomatoes and mash some or all of the soft tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Just before serving: Pour the sauce over the drained pasta,
- add the fresh herbs, the fried bacon bits and mix everything well. Divide among the plates, sprinkle with the fried bread chunks,
- grate some parmesan over it and - if you like - add some additional freshly ground black pepper and good olive oil!