Achari Chicken Curry Tangy Indian ChickenFrom vindee 8 years ago
- chicken - 1 (700-800gms), cut into pieces shopping list
- onions - 3 / sliced fine shopping list
- tomatoes - 3 / chopped fine shopping list
- garlic paste - 1 tbsp shopping list
- ginger paste - 1 tbsp shopping list
- yogurt (curd) - 3 tbsp/thick shopping list
- Kalonji - 1 tsp (Nigella seeds) shopping list
- Methi dana - 1/2 tsp (fenugreek seeds) shopping list
- Whole Zeera - 1 tsp (cumin seeds) shopping list
- Saunf - 1 tsp (fennel seeds) shopping list
- Bhuna Zeera Powder - 1 tsp (roasted cumin powder) shopping list
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp shopping list
- Haldi - 1/2 tsp (turmeric powder) shopping list
- green chilies - 2-3/ to taste shopping list
- lemon juice - of 1 lemon shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- fresh coriander (Hara Dhania) to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Slit the green chilies and soak them in thelemon juice. Keep aside.
- Heat about 4-5 tbsps of oil in a nice big wok (kadhai), and fry the onions till brown.
- Add the kalonji + methi dana + Whole Zeera + Saunf. Mix well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and haldi...roast well.
- Now put in the chicken pieces and roast on high flame till well browned.
- On high flame, add yogurt and fry well, but gently...don't want to debone the chicken!
- Once it leaves oil, add the red chilli powder + roasted zeera powder + tomatoes..and roast well once again on high flame.
- Once this also leaves oil around the edges. add about 1/2 a cup of water + salt to taste...and cook covered, on simmer for about 30 mins. Stir once in a while.
- Once the chicken is tender, put in the chilies with the lemon juice and fresh coriander, and simmer for 5-7 minutes to enhance the flavours!
- Serve with naan roti or basmati rice, and a veggie side-dish.
- Note: This is actually flavoured with the ingredients of an Indian pickle. Buy them only if you intend to use them, otherwise, its worthwhile to try the basic recipe without the 4 strange sounding seeds. You can even puree the tomatoes for a smoother gravy.
The Cookvindee Gurgaon, IN
The Rating17 people
Wow Vindee! This looks amazing! I love different curries and I don't like using pre-packaged stuff either. The only seed I don't have is "onion seeds" but I'm sure I could find them if I try...Thanks for the great post!kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
I finally got a chance to make this - and it is a perfectly balanced curry. (Thanks re: nigella seeds.) Keep cooking, Vindee! We are enjoying it immensely!kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
Oh my goodness...I have been looking for this recipe..My brother loves this,I always made it with achar gosht mix.Thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe.ambus in Lahore loved it