Pickled Eggplant preservingFrom mystic_river1 7 years ago
How to make it
- Peel the eggplants, and slice thinly lengthwise.
- Slice again into thin ribbons.
- Place in a colander, layering with coarse salt. (Use a handful for 3-4 eggplants).
- Place a weight on top and leave to drain for 24 hours.
- Drain the eggplant.
- Mix one part vinegar with two parts of water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, and drop the eggplant into the vinegar mixture.
- Let sit 3 minutes and then drain, squeezing excess moisture from the eggplant.
- Once the eggplant is almost dry, place in a large bowl with the sliced garlic, hot peppers and mint.
- Mix in enough oil to coat well and then pack into hot sterilized jars, leaving a little headspace.
- Pour a little extra oil on top, and poke with a wooden spoon handle to remove trapped air.
- Seal with hot sterilized lids.
- Make sure to keep some out for supper!
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating8 people
Absolutly delicious, I looooove eggplant and this pickling recipe is perfect. Love the subtleness of the mint.tomatobaron in Perryopolis loved it
I can't believe it - this is just like my Nonna's pickled eggplant recipe! I've been looking for it for years, as I couldn't remember the ingredient measurements. I can't wait to make some - thank you so much!flavorsofitaly in Memphis loved it
Sounds fantastic, cant wait to make it. Thank Youunicorn4 in Melbourne loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!