Shrimp and GritsFrom zena824 8 years ago
- 1 recipe (6 servings) basic boiled grits shopping list
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- Tabasco sauce (or your favorite sauce) shopping list
- Freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- white pepper shopping list
- 1 pound fresh shrimp shopping list
- 6 slices bacon shopping list
- peanut oil shopping list
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 1 cup finely sliced scallions shopping list
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and run thru a garlic press shopping list
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice shopping list
- Tabasco sauce shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the grits according to the recipe using th full amount of cheese.
- Season to taste, but lightly, with Tabasco, a very little of nutmeg, and white pepper.
- Hold in a warm place or in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Peel the shrimp, rinse, and pat dry.
- Dice the bacon and saute lightly in the skillet; the edges of the bacon should brown, but the bacon should not become crisp.
- Add enough peanut oil to the bacon fat in the skillet to make a layer of fat about 1/8 inch deep.
- When quite hot, add the shrimp in an even layer; turn the shrimp as they start to color, add the mushrooms, and saute about 4 minutes.
- Turn occasionally and add the scallions.
- Add the garlic through the press and stir around.
- Then season with lemon juice, a dash or two of Tabasco, and parsley.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the grits amoung four plates; spoon the shrimp over and serve immediately.