Indian Rice Pudding Or KheerFrom vindee 7 years ago
- rice – 1 cup (I use Basmati) shopping list
- milk – 2 litres (full cream) shopping list
- cardamom – 5-6 (seeds ground in pestle & mortar) shopping list
- saffron strands – 1 pinch (soaked for 10 mins in 1 tbsp warm milk) shopping list
- raisins – ¼ cup shopping list
- almonds – ¼ cup shopping list
- sugar – ¾ cup (Start with ½ cup and increase if required) shopping list
- Cream – ½ cup (optional for a GREATER tasting kheer/pudding) shopping list
- Nutmeg- 1/2 tsp grated fresh shopping list
How to make it
- Put the milk (less ½ cup) in a heavy bottom pan and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Blanch the almonds in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and peel them. Reserve for later.
- Meanwhile, wash rice, drain and microwave for 1 min. Separate the grains and microwave further for a minute.
- Spread out in a platter to cool, and then grind in a coffee grinder till nicely done. Set aside. (Can be done days in advance)
- Once the milk comes to a boil, mix the ground rice into the remaining cold ½ cup of milk.
- Stir this into the boiling milk, giving it a good stir since rice tends to form lumps otherwise.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron strands.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add cream (YES, good idea!!), and allow to cook for about 45 mins till rice gets cooked and the kheer/pudding thickens to a good consistency. Make sure the milk is stirred on and off to avoid it becoming lumpy.
- Add the raisins,nutmeg and almonds (reserve a few almonds to slice for garnishing if desired).
- Add the sugar, mix well, adjust for sweetness…remove and allow it to cool.
- Once it cools down a bit, transfer to a bowl (or individual bowls) to set . Garnish if desired.
- Chill well (4-6 hours) before serving.
- Note: Varieties of rice differ…one kind may have more starch than the other.
- If you want it thicker (or if it doesn’t thicken enough), add a tsp of cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp of cold milk once the rice is cooked.
- Do remember though that the kheer/pudding will continue to thicken as it cools once done.
- Also if the kheer/pudding does appear lumpy after the rice is cooked, run the hand mixer/whisk through the kheer/pudding before the raisins and almonds are added!!
The Cookvindee Gurgaon, IN
- Not added to any groups yet!