Spotted Dick RecipeFrom notyourmomma 7 years ago
- 3 oz (75g) self raising flour shopping list
- 3 oz (75g) Chopped suet shopping list
- 2 oz (50g) fresh white breadcrumbs shopping list
- 3 oz (75g) raisins shopping list
- 3 oz (75g) currants shopping list
- 2 oz (50g) sugar shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice shopping list
- 1/4 pint (150ml) milk shopping list
How to make it
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix them together well. Now add the Milk and mix to a fairly soft dough.
- Put the mixture into a greased 2 pint (1.2 litre) pudding basin and cover with kitchen foil, making a pleat across the centre to allow the pudding to rise. Tie the foil firmly in place with string, forming a handle across the top so that you can lift the pudding easily.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and place an inverted saucer in the bottom. Lower in the pudding basin and let it boil, covered, for 2 hours, filling the pan with more boling water as the level falls.
- Remove from the pan by the string handle, unwrap, turn out on to a heated dish and serve with custard sauce.
- Serves 4.
- Based on the Spotted Dick Recipe in:
- British Cooking
- by Caroline Conran (Treasure Press 1978).