Mac N CheeseFrom plot_thickens 9 years ago
- 1 package pasta (I like rotini) shopping list
- butter shopping list
- flour shopping list
- chicken stock shopping list
- yellow mustard shopping list
- onion, garlic, celery powder/salt shopping list
- Cream shopping list
- Grated Cheeses: Cheddar and whatever other cheese you like. I add cheddar, parmesan, cream cheese, dubliner, etc. shopping list
How to make it
- Boil your bite-sized pasta to VERY al dente (2 - 3 minutes less than the package says) and drain in sink.
- While pasta is boiling, grate cheese.
- Immediately put 2 T butter in pasta pan.
- Put pan back on stove, warm pan back up.
- Throw in 2 T flour to make roux. Add more if necessary; it should be something between toothpaste and yogurt consistency.
- Cook on med-low just until the roux starts to darken. Get your whisk ready.
- Pour in 2 C chicken stock SLOWLY while whisking the heck out of it. Whisk! Whisk! Lumps are bad! Whisk! Get the corners!
- Add 1 T yellow mustard, and 1 t each onion, garlic, celery powder/salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Throw in grated cheese.
- Pour in 1/2 - 1 C cream.
- Warm through and stir.
- Taste; it should be VERY strong. Whooh! Taste again - this time put a pasta piece in the spoon. See? That's better. Nummies. Remember, the pasta will mellow out the taste a lot.
- Add pasta and put the lid back on; bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes.