Spicy Shrimp And Black Bean SoupFrom coffeebean53 9 years ago
- 2 cups dried black turtle beans, soaked shopping list
- 1 strip bacon, diced shopping list
- 1 cup diced onion shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced celery shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño chili pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro shopping list
- 6 cups low-sodium canned chicken or vegetable broth shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh chives shopping list
How to make it
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a 4-quart pot over low-medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper , jalapeño pepper, and crushed red pepper , season lightly with black pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the bay leaf, cilantro, beans and broth and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the beans are completely tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill for the shrimp. Mix the shrimp and spices together and grill them on both sides until they are cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Let them cool slightly. When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, cut them in half.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf, puree half of the soup in a blender and then add it to the rest of the soup. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Divide the shrimp among the soup bowls, mounding them in the middle, and ladle the soup around them. Garnish with chopped chives.
- NOTE: Do not add salt until the beans are fully cooked because salt will prevent them from becoming tender.
The Cookcoffeebean53 Charlotte, NC
- Not added to any groups yet!