Squaw BreadFrom jo_jo_ba 8 years ago
- ½ cup yellow corn meal shopping list
- ½ cup rolled oats shopping list
- ½ cup 100% bran cereal shopping list
- ¼ cup wheat germ shopping list
- 2 cups boiling water shopping list
- 2 packages active dry yeast shopping list
- ½ cup warm water shopping list
- 1/3 cup honey shopping list
- 2 Tbs butter or margarine, melted shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 cups whole wheat flour shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour shopping list
How to make it
- In a 1-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, combine cornmeal, oats, bran and wheat germ.
- Pour in boiling water. Stir thoroughly and set aside to cool.
- Place yeast in large mixing bowl and add warm water, stir. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add honey, butter, and salt, and mix.
- Add cooled cornmeal mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in whole wheat flour.
- Gradually add unbleached flour, one cup at a time, until mixture is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead dough for 10 to 12 minutes until smooth, adding additional flour as necessary.
- Shape dough into ball and place in a greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Place dough in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size (about 1 ½ hours).
- Punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured board. Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a round loaf. Place loaves on a large lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and place in warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove loaves from cookie sheet and cool on wire racks.