Confetti Carrot CakeFrom kats_zoo 9 years ago
- 2 C all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp.baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 bakong soda shopping list
- 1/8tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 c shortening shopping list
- 13/4 c sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- 4 egg whites shopping list
- 1 c buttermilk or sour milk* shopping list
- 2 1/2 c shredded carrots shopping list
- 1 recipe Thick and Lemony icing shopping list
- 1 c chopped walnuts shopping list
- walnut halves (optional) shopping list
- carrot curl (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350o F. Grease and lightly flour 2 8x11/2 inch or 9x11/2 inc round baking pans; set aside. Stir together flour, baking powder and, baking soda, and salt: set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for thrity seconds. Add sugar vanilla; beat until well combined. Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes for 8 inchpans or 30 to 35 minutes for 9-inch pans or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes on wire racks in pans for 10 min. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks.
- Meanwhile, perpare Thick and Lemony Icing. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spoon about 3/4 ths of the icing (about 2/3 c) on top of the first layer cake. Spinkle with 1/2 of the chopped nuts. Place 2nd cake layer, on top of 1st layer, top side up. Spoon remaining icing over cake layer. Sprinkle with remaining chopped nuts. Garnish with walnut halves and carrot curl.
- Thick and Lemony Icing:
- In a small bowl combine 3 c sifted powdered surgar and enough lemon juice (about 3 TLBSP) to make thick glaze. Makes about 1 Cup.
- Twist of Orange Butter Cream Frosting
- Use a your favorite Butter Cream recipe, add fresh orange zest to the frosting. In between the layers, a layer of frosting and lighty chopped pecans. On each layer. When I made this for Thanksgiving I doubled the recipe and had 4 layers. Wow was it great and very Showy. I will have a pic soon.