Lamb Curry From East IndiaFrom lor 6 years ago
- 2-1/2 pounds lean lamb, cubed shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons shortening (I do not use shortening and only use a drop or 2 of olive oil) shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 4 Tablespoons curry powder shopping list
- a pinch of saffron threads shopping list
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth shopping list
- Note: I like to add a jar of my favourite curry sauce. It just adds to the authenticity. shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tart apple, peeled and diced shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons grated or flaked coconut (I omit due to allergies) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons seedless raisins or dried currants shopping list
- A small amount of freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- coriander chopped for garnish and cashew nuts. shopping list
How to make it
- Dredge meat in flour and brown on all sides in hot shortening.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet.
- Sauté a few minutes but do not brown.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- If you prefer a milder curry flavour then decrease the amount of curry powder.
- Simmer 60 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Serve with basmati rice, naan and an assortment of condiments such as chutney and yogurt.
- Note: I have also added cooked potato to this recipe and that too is very acceptable.
People Who Like This Dish 15
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating5 people
I love your recipe. It's something I've been looking for.laadeedaa in loved it
I love curry recipes and this one looks delicious. I simply love lamb and I will save this recipe and try it. Thanks for the recipe! ~~~Judy~~~linda2230 in Las Vegas loved it