Key Lime CheesecakeFrom myhusbandcooks 10 years ago
- 1 cup fresh squeezed key lime juice (f) shopping list
- 6 egg yolks (f) shopping list
- Two 14 oz. cans of sweetened condensed milk (f) shopping list
- 30 ginger snap cookies (pulverized should make about 1 1/2 cups) (c) shopping list
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter (melted) (c) shopping list
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar (c) shopping list
How to make it
- f= filling ingredient, c= crust ingredient
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Crush the ginger snaps. There are two real ways to do this first step. I use my food processor because I love my kitchen toys. The other way is to put them in a plastic bag and find some way to smash the billy-be-dern out of them. What you are looking for is small pieces with no real large chunks — a relatively coarse grain.
- Melt the butter. (Microwave, stove tip, Zippo lighter… whatever gets the job done.)
- Once the snaps are crumbs, place them in a bowl and add the brown sugar and melted butter. Mix thoroughly so the brown sugar isn’t clumped and the melted butter is nicely distributed, darkening the crumbs.
- In a 10-inch springform cake pan, you want to mash down to the crumbs using a heavy, flat surface like a ramekin or heavy glass. Flatten the crumb mixture and press it into the corners.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes. The remove and let cool for 15-20 min before use.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine the condensed milk and key lime juice.
- Now add each egg yolk one at a time. Make sure each addition is thoroughly integrated before you add the next. You can do this by hand, but it takes more effort. And you really want to really make sure it is all integrated.
- Once done, pour over the cooled base for the cake.
- Place in the oven for 40-50 min. You are looking for two things. First, is for the sides to be a bit firm and the center of the cake to jiggle slightly. Second, if you have a thermometer, look for a temperature of 150F in the middle of the cake.
- Cover and let cool in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. If you skip this step, you’ll regret it. It will run. The structure needs to be set and cooled. So, let it sit in the fridge to firm up.
- Run your knife along the edge of the cake to ensure it separates from the pan. Then open, serve, and enjoy!